Come along to LCO’s out-of-this-world concert to hear music inspired by space!
Thursday 5 May 2022, 18.30, St John’s Smith Square, London.
The London Chamber Orchestra will perform a beautiful arrangement of Gustav Holst’s suite The Planets. Presenter Ruth Rosales will guide us through each planet in the solar system and its astrological character.
This famous suite will be played alongside a brand-new work by Cheryl Frances-Hoad, The Exciting Marvellous Mars, one of Britain’s brightest compositional rising stars.
Tonight we will be celebrating the young players who are taking part in LCO’s outreach programme, Music Junction. It is a project that is open to all. We work with those who already play and want to learn to mentor others, and those who have never have the opportunity to pick up a musical instrument before. LCO’s musicians share their musical knowledge and support the participants through musical activities including flashmobs, creative workshops, focused instrumental learning sessions, and performances. Come and cheer them on!
We welcome all to enjoy the performance. Whether you are a seasoned concert-goer wanting to listen to world premieres and new arrangements of evergreen works, or have never been to an orchestral concert before and are interested in experiencing the joy of live music, or maybe you want to support our Music Junction programme or know a young person who is playing playing!
This concert will be a relaxed performance. Here are a few things to expect:
- Doors will be kept open during the performance to allow audience members to enter/leave the room as they wish
- Accessible digital programmes note to download in advance or on the day
- Lighting will be kept on
- There will be no special effects or flashing lights
- Talking and movement is allowed
- Relaxed attitude to noise. So clap and sing-along whenever you like
- Short movements presented by workshop leader Ruth Rosales
- There is no dress code for our musicians or for our audience. Please feel free to wear whatever you feel comfortable in
- Ask any of the LCO team any questions on the day
If you want to ask any question about the concert, please get in touch with Hattie from the LCO team [email protected] 01… no question is too small!