28 questions with Derek Welton
Buy a ticket to hear Derek sing
He likes golf and plays the bagpipes, but don’t hold that against him. Bass-baritone Derek Welton sings Vaughan Williams’ Songs of Travel with us on 5 December. Here he tackles 28 very tricky questions.
- Where are you right now?
Deutsche Oper Berlin.
- What’s the one thing you can’t live without?
- What’s the best thing about being a singer?
Performing wonderful music.
- The worst?
Morning orchestral rehearsals.
- Mini-golf or real golf?
Real golf (aside from searching for the ball in the rough).
- What does it feel like to be Derek Welton?
- Who was the last person you called?
My fiancée Karoline.
- What keeps you awake at night?
Being concerned about not getting enough sleep.
- What makes you go to sleep?
- Animals or plants?
- Or humans?
Depends which ones.
- Let me buy you a drink, what’s your poison?
- What’s the last thing you listened to for pleasure?
Bach’s Goldberg Variations.
- What’s your favourite thing to sing?
For the soul? Bach. For the voice? Wagner.
- What do you hate singing?
- What would you do if you couldn’t sing?
Continue with my linguistics studies, I’d hope.
- What should we all be reading?
- Puppies or kittens?
- Pre-show ritual?
A decent—and not too large—meal a few hours beforehand.
- What’s top of your bucket list?
To visit Antarctica.
- What do you fear?
- Name your favourite character.
- Do you play an instrument?
Piano and the bagpipes.
- Are you any good?
Piano: not nearly as good as I’d like.
Bagpipes: after some 15 years not playing, probably not very!
- Let’s go on holiday. Where are we going?
- What do you wear on stage?
By choice, all black and an open-neck shirt.
- Best piece of advice?
Being kind is more important than being clever.
- What’s your go-to email sign-off?
Derek sings with LCO on 5 December 2017 at Cadogan Hall.Find out more